Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I Got Some Wool....I THINK....!

First, I have been watching that Hurricane Sandy for three days.....YIKES!!  I couldn't believe that we were getting some clouds and pretty strong wind gusts while the other end of it was sweeping Canada!!  That's HUGE!  I saw a picture online today of the New York skyline last night completely dark....it was bizarre to see, like it was the Twilight Zone or something!  All my family in New England are fine and had a minimal impact.....but I'm worried about some people I know online now - I know there are some who live in that area!  I am praying that everything will be safe for them and back to normal soon!
As the sun was setting two nights ago, I took a picture of the trees in our front yard again, and they have already changed from the post last week.....

Can you recognize them?  The top one is where mini was sniffing the last time, and this bottom one is out the front door again, where I want the stone wall.....can you see the leaves and how they've changed even more?  And I wanted to point out the pinkish-hue as the sun set.....SO beautiful, isn't it!  This is the night before we got the first Hurricane effects, I wonder if that has anything to do with the brilliant, gorgeous color of the sky? 

So I've been petting my floor tiles -- I can't resist!!!  I fantasize about doing it all myself while Brian is at work! LOL  I did open one box and lay them next to eachother.....

How can I wait for this???  This picture is of the entry between the family room where I wallpapered and the kitchen....don't you love the duck tape we used to keep the "regular" flooring down, while we wait for the new flooring?  BLEGH!!! :-P  And the spots you see on this part of the floor are not dirt either, they are stains, they won't come out!  And here's a little fyi....see the masking tape across the floor in the first picture?  That is the line where the old wall and kitchen entry used to be, and the rug went over the white vinyl at that point, so it's sliced open right there and we have to keep taping it to keep it down.  It's been like this for several years, since we built the new wall that expanded the kitchen.  It will be so perfect to have it covered up and gone for good!! :-D  And then I'll have my family room wood flooring run right into it in this entry! *Sigh!!*
Here's a picture of one up close....
Sorry about the flash, but it was the only way I could show the true look of the tile -- see the brown blotches and the round divots?  I love them! :-DI can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!!!

So, today was the thrift store sale, 50% off everything, so we went!  It was very crowded, and I got some stuff for the kids, like jeans and a couple of sweaters for my daughter.  I also got myself a skirt that I have to take IN (for a change, usually it's "UP"!), and I grabbed a few wool blazers.....
....at least, I think they are wool!  The black one feels almost felted already, and I made sure all the tags said 100% wool before I bought them, but they are pretty thin......I've never felted any wool fabric before, so I'm not sure if these pieces will thicken and soften after being washed and dried.  OH!  And I'm having a heck of a time trying to cut the seams and get my pieces separated!  This is taking longer than I thought - is this really worth it?  I don't know yet.  I mean, I suppose since I paid under $2 for all of these, it IS worth it, but I'm just not sure what is going to happen with them!  I'll be updating here once I get them washed and dried.....

Speaking of wool, I've finally decided on a penny rug design!  I kept wanting to start with a huge one, but that's crazy!  I've got to pick one smaller to start, or else it will remain unfinished, and around here, that can mean NEVER finished!!  Here is what I picked.....
I have all the colors except the brown....I spent yesterday cutting them, and I was thinking of using a rust wool that I have, but I didn't like it much.....


I definitely don't like the rust, I've got to use a brown wool.....all the other colors are a perfect match, though!  I plan on starting this this week!! :-D

Tomorrow the kids have dentist appointments again, so I won't have any time at home in the morning - just like today.  I'll probably still be working on separating the wool blazers!   It's also Halloween.....we will be eating candy and watching scary movies!!  My kids are too old to want to trick-or-treat anymore :-( , so we just buy the candy.....BORING!  And I used to be able to raid their candy stashes to pick out my favorites.....now they have them all counted and marked, practically!  I'll just have to buy my OWN!! ^-^

3 comments:

  1. I like the rust for the penny mat.You're right don't go to big or it will sit.I had some unfinshed projects that I gathered up yesterday and am just getting rid of them tired of the clutter laying around.Yep that's what I want to do for halloween too, Hubby is making crab pretzels and watching some spooky movies.Hopefully netflix will work today it didn't yesterday hubby said because the ground was so wet from sandy that the buried fiber optics were probly wet beyond me.LoL..Happy Halloween!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh the wool penny rug will be so pretty - now I want to start another project just like yours!
    Have a fun day and I hope you can be patient whilst waiting for the new floor to be put down, but it can be soooooo hard when it is going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice tile. I hope you get your wish to install it soon. I know the feeling! I'm not really familiar with a wool penny rug so I hope you show your process as you go along. It sounds interesting. I happen to like the colors you've already picked out but I'm sure your preference for a brown will look amazing too. Enjoy your scary movie tonight with the kids. I'm glad your family was safe during the storm. Take care.

    ReplyDelete