Wednesday, June 6, 2012

D-Day

Today is the 68th anniversary of D-Day, the Allied landing in Normandy.
As a person who has been engrossed with World War II (since I was 11!), this day always makes me pause and consider what actually happened on that day....think of it!  The largest invasion in modern history!  The odds that were against those men, many of whom died on that beach....too many.  I think of the families whose sons, husbands, fathers, brothers, died that day....what a terrible sacrifice.  So many didn't even get out of the boats.  It breaks my heart, and I say a small prayer of thanks to them for what they gave up to protect America and the oppressed people in Europe, what they sacrificed for FREEDOM
I have two teenage boys, would I have the courage to let them go to fight and die like that?  Would they??  I am in awe of those ordinary Americans who gave their all for ME, for this future that we enjoy in a free country.

Here is a link to some pictures of that day, from the army.mil website.....

 www.foxnews.com/us/slideshow/2012/06/06/d-day-68-years-later/

I also highly recommend the series Band of Brothers - it was so well done, and what a great story!!  I wish it was on somewhere, I'm surprised it's NOT.  But, I have it recorded (^-^), so I'll be watching it tonight a little (it's 10 hours!).  I especially love the beginning, because it shows all their training, and I don't have to see anyone die yet.

My granddaddy was a soldier in the war, but not for any of the serious battles, and my other grandfather's COUSIN was a Marine and died at Iwo Jima.  I am so proud of that, too.  But there is something to me about D-Day....like I said, I am in awe of those men (and their families!)....as I look around here at my peaceful and plentiful life, I am so grateful for the grand undertaking and sacrifice that took place 68 years ago - before my mother was even born!!   







No comments:

Post a Comment