Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Some Excitement!

Well, we've had some new excitement since this morning.....it seems a little Carolina Wren has decided to build a nest in a little spot in the eaves of our porch ceiling!  I guess he's been at it a little while, because there's quite a large pile of twigs and leaves up there....


At first, he was alone.....
 
Then I saw 3 other birds outside of the porch, on the steps and railing!  They were all hopping around and chirping together - it was so cute!!  Then I guess his mate started helping....

I'm sorry the picture is so blurry, but they move so quick, I don't think I was holding it steady enough!  Here are two more pictures of them coming and going....so sweet!


I hope they stay!!  Of course, it's going to be tricky for a couple of weeks if they do, because we use our porch ALOT (in case you couldn't tell from all the "stuff" out there), and I won't want to disturb them.  But I read they raise their babies from 10-14 days, then they are off on their own, so it's not any real kind of hardship for us!  And I'd feel better about them being safe here, not like the nest in the barn a few years ago that a snake got to....that was AWFUL!  I was very upset by that, and I know no snakes will get them here.  But it could also be a decoy nest - wrens are know to do that, to build a nest that they don't use to throw off predators.  So, we shall see!! ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment